Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

This is a public forum. This forum will be a place to show your Project Eagle and updates on progress you have made. Please make one thread with your project and put all updates in the same thread. Sorry... Eagles only.

Re: Manny & Darlene's Eagle 05

Postby buscrazyinFL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I only saw brass bushings, Clifford, but I'll be sure to check again.

As far as the brakes go, I figured since we're tearing down my front end so extensively anyway, may as well go ahead and change out the brakes. We've already got all the parts.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bustyme » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 am

Clifford,

Mine has the brass bushings. I think by they shape they're in they were replaced when the bus was converted 50K miles ago. I pressed them out before I stripped and plated everything and plan on re-using them. My parts guy said the same thing about the plastic ones but he didn't have any brass ones if I wanted them. Since mine are in good shape and the "S"-cams are good, the brakes will be good. The bushings, kin-pins, tie-rod ends though are another story!! The upper torsilastics were good too but I got a couple of new ones from Bob Rowsell (all he had) and I'm going to use them to replace the front ones that were in there.
Looks like at least two of Manny's were worn out (above pics)by the way they were splitting out. That was probably the squeak...
My funny sound was from no oil (or very little) in the drivers side wheel hub. The bearings were pitted and were loose as well! I caught it just in time.....that would have been ugly. :o
Gotta get my pics on photo bucket so everyone can see them. I also built (machined) some really cool caps for the pins that will allow the grease to get where it needs to be around the "C" arm pins. Way better than those stamped steel covers.
Can't wait to see how much improvement it makes to the handling. When I saw how much the wheels wobbled when I jacked up the front end and wiggled them with a pry bar I jumped at this project and haven't looked back!
Now I just gotta clean up all the undercarriage and paint it before I hang all this purdy hardware back in there. :lol:

Keep ya posted,

Randy Coons
Bustyme
Club Member
Club Member

Postby MrBreeze » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 am

Hello Manny, It Must Be Front End Rebuild Season Out Here In Eagle Land.

Since I Bought My 10 That You Saw I Have Never Been Very Impressed With The Ride Up Front. I Also Noticed My Drivers Side Front Wheel Laying In Just A Touch On Top The First Time I Saw It. Looked Just Like It Had A Worn Out King Pin.
The Bus Always Steered Good Without Much Effort.

Im Going On An Extended Road Trip Here In A Few Days With Her...So... Thought I Better Get Out The Grease Gun And Check Out The Wheel Bearings While I Was At It.

When I Got To The Drivers Side With My Pry Bar........I Noticed Some Movement In The Top Front Torsolastic. WOW... The Dang Thing Was Broke Clear Off At The Shaft. :shock: ....... (someday a picture)

I Called My Buddy Wayne And Told Him About What I Found And I Had A New Set Sitting At My Shop In About An Hour !!!

I Then Called My Other Buddy Jimmy Shepard And Begged Him To Come Over And Give Me A Hand......

Jim And I Tore My Front End Apart In Record Time....... Looks Like The The Shaft Had Been Broke For A Long Time......... WOW... Very Heavy Dirty Job. We Got Er Done......( Jim Took Many Long Breaks) I Had A Hard Time Keeping Him Off The Phone.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Think He Was Playing Solitare.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All Kidding Aside...... THANK YOU Wayne And Jim For Your Friendship And Help. I Am Very Happy (Blessed) To Live In Colorado Close To The EAGLE MASTERS !!!

Im Getting Ready For My Road Test In The Morning.....And....Getting Ready To Hit The Road In A Couple.

I Cant Wait To See Your Eagle All Put Back Together Manny.... Im Sure You Are Going To Make That Baby Look Like New !! DA !!!

Thank You For The Great Pictures.

10-4
MrBreeze
p.s. Hello Randy.
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Postby saddleup » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:38 am

John, where you headed on your trip? were about to get back on the road head somewhere, had enough of this north dakota BS maybe we see you on the road.
GOOD LUCK, Matt
1974 05
Box Elder, SD
Yuma,AZ
saddleup
Club Member
Club Member

Postby MrBreeze » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

Everywhere.......&...... Anywhere. We Are Running From The Fires.. Kansas, Michigan And Then I Hope Texas (Gotta Pickup Some Carpet From Sonny)..And Then On To California Also I Got To Run Threw And Pester Clifford.. :lol:

I Will Post In The General Section Soon.... I Dont Want To Highjack Mannys Thread.

Thanks For Asking.

10-4

MrBreeze 8-)
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Postby buscrazyinFL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:00 am

Mr. Breeze, sorry for my delayed response. My main pc has been down the past week...

I feel your pain and think you must be right about it being "Front End Rebuild Season." Hopefully mine will be done this week. Haven't been able to work on it steady. I'll post some pics of what's been done so far. Notice the worn out bearings that go in the steering arms. No wonder I didn't have a good turning radius. All that is being replaced. When it's all done it should be like when it came out of the factory (maybe better). I'm also installing all new brake drums, and will then get the bus aligned. Can't wait to get it on the road and feel the difference...I won't know what to do!
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member

Postby buscrazyinFL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 am

POST # 43

New Brake Drums (Model 15)

Steering Arm Driver's Side

Worn-out Bearings from Steering Arm Driver's Side

New Steering Arm

New Parts for Front End

Long (?) arm that goes across from side to side
Notice its shape, it's completely worn out

Old A Frame

New A Frame w/new torsilastic bushing

Cleaned out and ready for paint and new parts
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member

Postby buscrazyinFL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:50 am

POST # 44

Completed FRONT END REBUILD w/updated Model 15 Brakes

Well, just about got this big job wrapped up. Whole front end has been rebuilt and brakes have been updated to the Model 15 brakes. Everything went great and fits like a charm. Test drove the bus and the steering was 100% better and the braking was amazing! Only thing left to do now is allignment. Had an appointment to have that done Friday afternoon, but had a little bump in that plan. Went to start up the bus but noticed there was a problem building up air. Had this problem once before back in January and thought maybe the cold weather was a contributing factor. The governor was apparently stuck and wouldn't allow the air to build up, but when the same thing happened Friday in 90 degree weather...I figured it wasn't the weather that was the problem. Anyway, went to NAPA and got a new governor (very inexpensive). It wasn't hard to change at all and now I'll know what to do if this happens again in fact I plan to keep an extra one on hand. You'll see me going in through the old battery door (no batteries in there now and no tray). I was reaching all the way across to the governor to swap it out (guess it helps being skinny) only two bolts hold it in place. While I was in there I removed the power steering pump because it had a leak (needed a new gasket). In case you are wondering why I didn't go in from the top to change the governor, that would have meant removing the bolted bed frame, and tearing up the carpet and padding (no thank you). After the allignment I want to paint the whole front end.

Using 18" Push Rods instead of the original 15:

New air governor

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member

Postby rv_safetyman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Manny, thanks so much for the details and great pictures!!!!

It sounds like all you needed to do to convert from 05 to 15 brakes was to put on new shoes and drums. Is it really that simple?

I assume you used the bronze bushings. Did you do the reaming, or have it done?

It looks like you have manual slack adjusters. I think the conversion to auto-slack is pretty easy and may be worth putting on the to-do list.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
rv_safetyman
Club Member
Club Member

Postby buscrazyinFL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Jim,
You have to change the whole C arm, not just the shoes and drums. Every part you see painted gray came off a Model 15 Eagle. There are no Model 05 brake parts left on my Eagle. The Model 05 had 4" brake pads, this Model 15 has 5" pads. Also this Model 15 was 96" wide. I probably wouldn't have done this conversion now but there happened to be a donor bus available and since I was doing the front end anyway I figured it would be a good time to do it.

I assume you meant brass bushings - Yes.

Maybe others who have done this can chime in here...
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Eagles