Bogie Torsilastic inspection probably normally forgotten

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.

Bogie Torsilastic inspection probably normally forgotten

Postby Gary LaBombard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:10 am

Hey Guys,
I wanted to pass on what I think to be quite important information to all Eagle owners having Bogie torsilastic suspension. Eric Brown has made me aware of an inspection of your torsilastic tube that even I overlooked but thanks to him making me aware of it I feel really good finding out I do not have a problem.

On the end of the actual torsilastic tube, the inner end that is facing into the center of the bus, is a end cap that has I think 5 or 6 5/16" bolts on it, underneath it is normally a (GREASE) fitting on the bottom of the actual torsilastic tube. If you take this cap off for inspection as I have done, you (may) find out the center steel tube of the torsilastic is off center and it may look like the brass bushing supporting this tube is worn out. This could cause you big problems, your torsilastic tube will be wobbling all around going down the road and I am sure will easily wear down your bogie wheel tires and be quite unsafe in your steering as well.

I feel so glad to find mine in tact as my bogie is totaly assembled with everything assembled and does not have to be disassembled, As usual, again.

Here is photos of what I believe you are looking for when taking off the bogie torsilastic tube inspection cover. OH, remember when lubing your bus, to lube the grease fittings on the very end of both of your tubes.

This photo is what I did to block off all openings to both my torsilasic arms and tubes.

Garylee
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Bogie Torsilastic inspection probably normally forgotten

Postby luvrbus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am

Gary, run lines from the tubes then you never need to crawl under and you don't miss those fitting JMW and Eagle sold push in caps for those Jefferson probably has it fwiw 10-0301-05 part number

good luck
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Bogie Torsilastic inspection probably normally forgotten

Postby Gary LaBombard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Cliff,
I plan to enclose that area that houses the end of the torsilastic tube needing lubricating. I want to enclose the bogie torsilastic tube end with removable enclosure just to stop all dirt etc. from getting in there but yet still have access to that area should either tube need removal etc. . At the same time I enclose that area I will run a brass nipple fitting through the sheetmetal enclosure that will be removable if needed and I can put a greas fitting on the end of the brass nipple / coupling to fill this tube up then the torsilastic tube will get lubed each time.

Thanks for the idea to put a cap part number on the fittings. I know I am sure glad to find out my tubes in the torsilastic tube are still good, I sure dreaded taking at least one of the assemblies apart to fix.

Hope this information is useful to others.
Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member

Return to Eagle Tech