Power Steering Reservoir overflow

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.

Power Steering Reservoir overflow

Postby Bustyme » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Fired up the 10 this weekend to get it ready for New Years weekend. After I drove it the four miles from the house to the shop so I could work on some little things the power steering reservoir was bubbling over like I had over filled it after I shut the engine off. Does anyone know what this means? Is there a stuck check valve or something. Checked the level with the dipstick when it was running and it was at half full. It is the stock original set-up that comes on a Model 10. What do you use for power steering fluid?...it looks like ATF (it's reddish). Any help would be great...don't need a project or show-stopper this week!!

Thanks,

Randy Coons
Bustyme
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Power Steering Reservoir overflow

Postby Sunchaser Art » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Randy-

Mine did that once. . .I had a slight leak at the gearbox (before we rebuilt it) and decided to fill it to the 3/4-full mark before a road trip. After about 200 miles, I looked at the rear deck and there was enough red stuff it looked like I sucked a small deer into the radiator fan!

When we had the gearbox built, they said we could run ATF or light hydraulic. I stuck with ATF, but I keep it in the low line of the sight glass. I thought it might be a bit hydroponic like brake fluid, but even after a thorough flush, it still gains 10-15% when it's hot. So, I still keep it on the mid-to-low line; when it's warm/hot, it's at the full mark--go figure!

Once yours got done spewing, where was the level at when it was cold and warm?

Good luck, and see you in the desert!

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member

Postby luvrbus » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Randy,they will do that sometimes when the filter needs changing in the reservoir also and a air bubble can stay inline for years if it is not bleed right and like Art I used ATF

Clifford
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bustyme » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:38 pm

How big of deal is it to clean/replace the filter in the reservoir? On our bus it is easy to get to, can be drained and cleaned pretty easy so maybe that's where I need to start. I'll check it in the morning when it's cold and see where the fluid level is. Thanks for the info...I knew you guys would take the mystery out of it. ;) I have ATF so all good there.

Thanks,

Randy Coons
Bustyme
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Sunchaser Art » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Randy-

I'm not sure how it is on yours, but ours has a screw on the top lid with a gasket (which came with the filter), and a spring holding the filter toward the bottom of the reservoir. . .sorta like the old oil canister filters but backwards!

I can't remember what the filter number was, but there's a thread on the board with a couple of part numbers. . .if you flush the whole system and a filter change, you're probably looking at about an hour at the worst.

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Boomer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 pm

No need to drain it Randy, just reach down there and get it. ATF's good for the skin, like Palmolive I hear, LOL.
Boomer
Board Member
Board Member

Postby Dreamscape » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Sounds like you are getting great advice.

Just wanted to say I'm glad you are getting out and using your 10. Say Hi to Kelley for us!
Becky & Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
8V71N HT 740
Dreamscape Eagle Travel Blog: http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Dreamscape
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bustyme » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks everyone for all the help. I drained the reservoir (most of it onto the floor... cause I'm lame..), managed to get the filter out to take down to the truck parts place to get another one. FYI it is a Napa Gold #1487 or a Donaldson #P550487. Of course the bolt was buggered up and the rubber washer that holds down the cover was toast so after chasing down replacements and machining washers etc.-- I got-er done! Like most Bus projects they start to behave once you take it apart, put it back together and know how it works!!
I knew when Art said it 'd take me an hour I should be prepared for 2+ and a little bus chaos...haha :lol:

Anyway, the next challenge is the AD-2 Air Dryer that needs some sort of love since it discharges violently every minute or so. Problem here is it's buried and the pre-project is uncovering it....ahh the bus life!!

All worth it if we can use it this holiday weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

Randy Coons
Bustyme
Club Member
Club Member

Return to Eagle Tech